ivclibrarians - RE: Update on the "Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting

Subject: K-20 librarians interactive video conferencing

RE: Update on the "Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting

  • From: "Graves, Judy" <>
  • To: "'James Werle'" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: Update on the "Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:34:54 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hi Everyone,
I'm Judy Graves from the Library of Congress. I coordinate a distance
learning initiative focused on outreach to K20 educators, librarians,
researchers, and life-long learners. We use video conferencing and web
conferencing to provide training and programs to groups across the United
States and beyond. My background includes teaching and formal training in
instructional technology.

And now for James's questions:
1) Please describe your past experience or interest in using
videoconferencing within your organization.

We dabbled with CU See Me since it was beginning to be used in K12
classrooms, but found it insufficient for our purposes. In 1998, we received
our first video conference unit (Polycom) through a grant from the First
Ladies Library. With this unit, we learned more about the medium and what it
could and could not do in terms of programming. As you might expect,
connections were limited to a small but growing number of groups that also
had video conferencing capability, primarily in universities and the nation's
larger school districts. (Michigan and New York were early users of our
service).

2001 was a watershed year in terms of how we viewed and used video
conferencing. The events of September 11th and following forced everyone to
rethink travel. Training budgets shrank. We formed a new group called the
Digital Reference Section, with the responsibility of investigating and using
new media to provide expanded reference services to the Library's varied
audiences. Video conferencing, and later web conferencing in 2004, became
established means for developing, offering, and presenting workshops and
programs.

Currently we offer the standardized programs (free) below. We are also open
to special requests. See:
videoconferencing: http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/videoconf/
web conferencing: http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/orientation.html

We are also involved in helping other divisions of the Library use video
conferencing to further their outreach and business activities. We've
participated in special programs created by other Internet2 groups and I2
groups have helped us present special programs, such as our poet laureate
video conference with four community colleges two years ago.

My interest in videoconferencing is both professional and personal. Having
lived in a variety of places with limited information resources and means of
communication throughout my husband's military career, I know the value of
enrichment programming and the difference it can make in a person's personal
and professional life and local community. Professionally, these
technologies have enabled the Library to provide a service to groups who are
not in a position to travel to Washington, DC. This library is the largest
in the world and contains treasures unique to American history and culture.
Through video conferencing we introduce audiences to this portion of their
heritage.

2) What's the most important thing you hope to get out of participating in
this group?

I hope to learn what the concerns of others are: the problems they face, the
needs they have, their program dreamsheet. I hear some concerns from people
who contact me for programs to introduce their participants to the medium,
but that's a very small subset of what is (I think) a large movement
throughout the country. Whatever I learn will inform the programs,
resources, and services we offer.

3) Are there specific questions, topics, collaborative activities you'd
like the group to explore together?

Yes, definitely. More will come, but here are a few to start:
- Where would you look for a list of content providers?

- What kinds of programs would support your mission to your community? to
your staff?

- What resources can we provide to help you get started?
ISTE has a SIG for video conferencing, but I'm not aware of anything similar
for ALA. ARCL has a distance learning SIG, but that's focused on their
needs, not those of libraries in general. Am I missing something?

I hope this list will provide everyone a place where they can ask basic
questions, ask for help or advice, or provide assistance when needed. Some
very good video conferencing lists and web portals have closed because of the
loss of grant funding. I'm not aware of anything that focuses on the needs
of libraries and non-K12 organizations in this area.

Judy Graves
Judith K. Graves
Digital Projects Coordinator
Digital Reference Section
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave, SE
Washington, DC 20540-4604
(v)202.707.2562

Virtual Programs & Services
http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/
Subscribe to news from Virtual Programs and Services at <
http://www.loc.gov/rss/ >
*Opinions expressed are my own.*