ivclibrarians - RE: Update on the "Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting

Subject: K-20 librarians interactive video conferencing

RE: Update on the "Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting

  • From: Jim Loter <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: Update on the "Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 04:03:00 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi everyone,

I'm the Director of IT for The Seattle Public Library.

> 1) Please describe your past experience or interest in using
> videoconferencing within your organization.

We have not done much of anything with VC at SPL. We have a couple
initiatives on the horizon provided funding can be procured:

a) Support staff collaboration across our 27 locations in Seattle

b) Broadcast (live with interactivity) our popular programs, such as author
readings, civic forums, and other special events. Most of these occur today
at Central Library downtown, which is not the easiest place for a lot of
people to get to. Plus, we are dealing more and more with overflow situations
as we attract more popular authors and speakers. We are also looking at
making programming available state-wide as more and more smaller and rural
library systems are connected up to broadband via stimulus funding.

> 2) What's the most important thing you hope to get out of participating in
> this group?

I want to learn more about the technical and administrative challenges more
experienced organizations have faced in rolling out the technology and the
services related to videoconferencing. What does it take to do it right? What
does it take to produce a live event? What makes sense to keep "in house" vs.
utilizing professional services?

> 3) Are there specific questions, topics, collaborative activities you'd
> like the group to explore?

In addition to "classic" point-to-point or multi-point videoconferencing,
what have been some of your experiences in mixing that in a more richly
interactive environment that allows for remote participation, media sharing,
etc.

I'm looking forward to this session. See you all next week!

Jim

--
Jim Loter ▪ Director of Information Technology ▪ The Seattle Public Library
1000 Fourth Ave., Seattle, WA 98104-1109