grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Large scale template use

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Large scale template use

  • From: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • To: Richard Frovarp <>, " Mailing List" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Large scale template use
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 22:36:15 +0000

Richard,

If you are targeting a "big bang cutover" then I think you likely just need
to walk your "applications" and "create structures in Grouper" with
WebServices (WS) calls. And copy the memberships too.
The WebServices calls can do anything a user can do with the UI. (
Well, basic functions are all there. AKA : Create/update/delete: group,
folder, etc...)

I don't expect that a wizard could/would be triggered by a WS call.
But I could be wrong.

NOTE: If you are referring to
https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+new+template+wizard (
by "application template" ) then you could develop such a template for user's
to manually create new applications after conversion.
Or you could write UI hooks (REF:
https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Hooks ) too.
Example: A new folder is created "here" (or named "foo-*",
etc...) and you create sub structures, establish access controls, etc.. for
the user.

Your choice between a "wizard" and "hooks" likely depends on your
taste/style/functionality needs.
IHMO:
A wizard would be for a "Ask a human questions and get
variable outputs/responses."
A Hook would be more for a "see 'X', then do 'Y'" kind of
API] events.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew