grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] group membership rules ?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] group membership rules ?

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] group membership rules ?
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 07:23:17 -0500

Newbies are welcome! And in that category I suspect that you're a ringer anyway...

The subject API can indeed pull someone out of your IdMS (yes, you got that acronym right) and expose a set of their attributes. But its design has been oriented towards several specific one-subject-at-a-time scenarios (see the wiki page at <https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/i2miCommon/Subject+API>).

But now we're talking about a need to maintain a view over the entire set of subjects to be aware of changes in attributes of any subset of them. A very different type of use, one that the current API and code are unprepared for.

I'm sure it can be done, but resources must be balanced against priorities and direction. If you'll be at the Internet2 meeting, there's a combined and open signet-grouper working group session. You can add your voice to those that help determine our priorities and direction!

Chris Hyzer wrote:
Sorry to be a newbie, but just trying to understand the language and concepts here...

The problem, as I mentioned in another message, is that the subject API
provides only loose coupling with your IdMS data.
I assume idms is identity management system. lets give an example. at penn we have a penn_id, which is an 8 digit number assigned to each person.
So if we had a query that returned penn_id's for users who should be in a group, you are saying the problem is that there is a loose
coupling between the penn_id and the subject api id? So grouper would need to somehow lookup the subject api id? And if the query
just returned a list of subject api id's that would be nice for grouper but might be inconvenient for users?

Thanks!