grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] group membership rules ?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] group membership rules ?

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] group membership rules ?
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 07:29:49 -0500

Just to expand a bit, the original conception of the grouper project included a "stream loader", that rules-engine-enabled external task that could maintain memberships in synchrony with external attributes. But we've never had the resources to do other than focus on the core of the work: group management capabilities.

I'm hoping that as sites now actually begin to use grouper, we'll see loaders being developed that are more general than a one-trick pony. In other words, I'm still looking to the community to provide the resources lacking in the grouper project per se that are needed to complete the group management toolkit.

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
Tom,

Grouper does not have a 'rules' engine for determining group memberships. Memberships have to be maintained either by hand i.e. the UI, or by a 'Loader'. In the future there may be membership aging.

I'm sure some kind of rules engine would be very useful but I don't think there is one on the roadmap at present. It would probably be worth starting a discussion to gather requirements. In principle, a rules engine could be developed to use the Grouper API, but otherwise be independent of it. It could run as a daemon or, perhaps more likely, as a cron job.

Gary

--On 04 April 2007 12:30 -0500 Tom Zeller

I'm welcome to ideas regarding how to handle when "something" about a
group member changes that should result in adding or removing (or
disabling ?) the member from the group. For example, given a helpdesk
group which consists of full-time staff and transient student-workers
and which has elevated privileges, is there a Grouper-way to remove a
student-worker from the group when their employment ends ?

I was thinking of something like a group membership rule which says each
member must have a particular attribute.

If I missed something in the docs or wherever please point me in the
right direction.

Thank you,
Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing