grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] beta testing real-time provisioning ?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] beta testing real-time provisioning ?

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] beta testing real-time provisioning ?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:04:13 -0600

>> Will you be choosing a "flat" or "bushy" provisioning structure for groups
>> ?
>
> This is just teminology, but the only real reference to these terms I
> found in this context/community is the venerable LDAP recipe, in which
> these both refer to the same DIT model:
>
>  This is the "flat *and* bushy" model as opposed to "tall and spikey".
>  http://middleware.internet2.edu/dir/docs/ldap-recipe.htm#DIT
>  (my emphasis)
>
> Another canonical text (Howes et al., 2003, 2nd ed.) calls this
> dichotomy "flat" vs. "hierarchical" (p.315ff). Jfyi.
>
> As for provisioning plans: Our current -- and to be replaced in a
> later project, if things go well -- group management system provisions
> groups in hierarchies (cn=group, ou=folder/stem, ...). Not sure we'll
> stick with this, so undecided.

Great link. Terminology and a configuration option. The attribute
resolver attribute definition which converts grouper names to ldap dns
supports a structure of flat or bushy.

<!-- The LDAP DN of a group. For example,
"cn=groupExtension,ou=stem,ou=testgroups,dc=edu". -->
<resolver:AttributeDefinition
id="groupDn"
xsi:type="psp-grouper-ldap:LdapDnFromGrouperNamePSOIdentifier"
structure="bushy"
sourceAttributeID="name"
rdnAttributeName="cn"
base="ou=testgroups,${edu.vt.middleware.ldap.base}">
<!-- Dependencies which return a "name" attribute whose value is
the group name. -->
<resolver:Dependency ref="GroupDataConnector" />
<resolver:Dependency ref="DeleteGroupChangeLogDataConnector" />
<resolver:Dependency ref="UpdateGroupChangeLogDataConnector" />
</resolver:AttributeDefinition>

<complexType name="LdapDnFromGrouperNamePSOIdentifier">
<annotation>
<documentation>
A Shibboleth Attribute Definition extension which returns a
PSO Identifier whose ID is an LDAP DN.
</documentation>
</annotation>
<complexContent>
<extension base="resolver:BaseAttributeDefinitionType">
<attribute
name="structure"
use="required">
<annotation>
<documentation>
The Grouper DN structure.
</documentation>
</annotation>
<simpleType>
<restriction base="string">
<enumeration value="flat">
<annotation>
<documentation>
Provisions objects to a single container.
</documentation>
</annotation>
</enumeration>
<enumeration value="bushy">