grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] beta testing real-time provisioning ?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] beta testing real-time provisioning ?

  • From: Peter Schober <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] beta testing real-time provisioning ?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:30:04 +0100

* Tom Zeller
<>
[2012-01-10 00:23]:
> Will you be provisioning the memberOf attribute ?

AD does this (AFAIK, I'm only pushing stuff there), we're also using
OpenLDAP's memberOf overlay, so yes.

> Will you be provisioning the eduMember hasMember or isMemberOf attributes ?

Not unless a need/desire for non-DN valued memberships comes up.

> Will you be provisioning eduCourse ?

Courses are not currently in scope, maybe later.

> Will you be choosing a "flat" or "bushy" provisioning structure for groups ?

This is just teminology, but the only real reference to these terms I
found in this context/community is the venerable LDAP recipe, in which
these both refer to the same DIT model:

This is the "flat *and* bushy" model as opposed to "tall and spikey".
http://middleware.internet2.edu/dir/docs/ldap-recipe.htm#DIT
(my emphasis)

Another canonical text (Howes et al., 2003, 2nd ed.) calls this
dichotomy "flat" vs. "hierarchical" (p.315ff). Jfyi.

As for provisioning plans: Our current -- and to be replaced in a
later project, if things go well -- group management system provisions
groups in hierarchies (cn=group, ou=folder/stem, ...). Not sure we'll
stick with this, so undecided.
-peter