grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 07:49:21 -0500

The audit types are not mandated, there are just built-ins… so an institution could create their own audit type, and then insert into the audit entry table via trigger, no problem.

The problem with your scenario is the record being updated happens before the audit record insert, so its hard to update it via trigger.  You could put the email address in another table, and have a loader process which puts it back in an audit misc field.  Though there is still the issue of customizing a misc field.

With your particular use case, and I assume you are talking about user auditing, and not point in time, then since user auditing is done via java, and not triggers, then there really isn’t any reason to use triggers to customize the audit record I think, we could just expose an audit hook and you could customize.  However, all that said, I think getting too far into this sounds like a good idea for phase 2  J

Regards,

Chris