grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 10:19:26 -0600

Given version +1 in which we decide we'd like to add or change the string (or int) columns' data, how do we maintain the different versions' representation ? especially for 'long term' auditing/history ?

On Feb 6, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Chris Hyzer

I'd like us to review ideas for how the string and int cols will be
used
for a representative set of operations, before you get too far down
this
path.

Here is my current plan (who wants to look at some source code?!?! :) ):

http://viewvc.internet2.edu/viewvc.py/grouper/src/grouper/edu/internet2/middleware/grouper/audit/AuditTypeBuiltin.java?root=I2MI&view=markup
So far, only the String cols are used, not integer. I picture int cols for things like the loader where you capture how many inserts/ updates/deletes took place.

Anwyays, so for a membership add:

MEMBERSHIP_ADD(new AuditType("membership", "addMembership", null, "id", "fieldId", "fieldName", "memberId", "membershipType", "ownerType", "ownerId", "ownerName")),

The audit category is "membership", and the action in that category is "addMembership". The category and action are a unique key in the audit type table. The String fields to capture for a membership add are:

"id", "fieldId", "fieldName", "memberId", "membershipType", "ownerType", "ownerId", "ownerName"

And all the other standard data is always captured: IP address, who was logged in, what system, actAs user, etc

For a group update, I will capture this misc string data:

"id", "name", "parentStemId", "displayName", "description"

Note, the old values arent in there, just the new values. I was thinking I would put that in the audit description column, something like:

Group 'penn:community:employee' was changed:
- Display name was: 'Penn:Community:Employee Group', and is now: 'Penn:Community:Employees of Penn'.

Note that this is just for a UI so people can see who (or what) invoked high level grouper operations, and what the user did. If you want a more data oriented output of what fields and underlying tables were changed, it will be in the point in time auditing tables by context id. I don't think we need to reinvent that here by making an XML representation of what changed etc... it is in the point in time system...