grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 21:53:25 -0500

Yes, that was Gary's good idea.

However, although I am not close to starting the PIT stuff, it is a bit of a
thorn in my side as I think about how it will work. I had my mind set on
triggers, but deletes are a bit tricky... When you delete a row, the
contextId is not there, so how can the row and the contextId be inserted into
the PIT table? Three options:

1. Update the row with the new contextId, then delete it, and the trigger now
knows the contextId
2. Delete it, have the trigger insert into the PIT without the contextId,
then use java to update the PIT with the known contextId (not exactly sure
how to get the primary key of the PIT row)
3. Just use Java and no triggers

Its looking like the cleanest solution is now the third one... sorry to
change course, but maybe we should start there, and if performance or other
concerns warrant, we can try another one... I kind of think since we are
keeping the context id for deletes, #1 and #2 are a little kludgy... I guess
we could do a hybrid approach (updates with triggers and deletes with java),
but that doesn't seem elegant either... hmmm

I wonder if the notification queue table needs contextId. I have a feeling
it does, so the same situation will occur. The advantage to doing
notifications from Java is we can filter what goes into the notification
queue (and the cardinality), so the queue will be more accurate. With
triggers we will get a lot of noise in the queue (and singletons where need
to go back and insert multiples), so the processing of the queue will require
more work.

Regards,