grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 4-Feb-09
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:57:15 -0500

Im open to suggestions, but here is my current plan:

1. If adding, and assuming there is an open row:
a. Just add it, old data is null
-or- b. Update all existing rows to something like NA, and add it
2. If changing a col:
a. Null out all existing audit entry cells with that category /
action / header
-or- b. Update all existing rows to something like NA, and change it
3. If deleting a col:
a. Null out all existing entries of that category / action / header

We need the data to be consistent, we cant have data in a cell which doesn't
correspond to the header. Also, the data isn't intended to be used
programmatically, except possibly for UI links. Picture a UI with audit data
in it, the group change could be a link based on the uuid of the group. If
the description col is blank, or NA, or there, it just enhances the UI, but
doesn't make a system break... right? The uuids I think are the minimum
data, the other stuff is nice to have. The real data that we can link to
from other systems can be accessed through point in time auditing...
Speaking of which, we will have the same situation when we add cols to
things, and add corresponding cols to point in time, then we will have to do
option a. or b. above...

Thoughts?

Regards,
Chris