grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior

  • From: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>, Signet <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:17:42 -0400

Thanks for the education!!! Much appreciated.
My concern on regex is withdrawn.

/mrg

On Aug 14, 2008, at 0:32, Chris Hyzer wrote:

And, KH, I see you still like the idea of regex and I believe that is
overkill as well - why do we need it? When I consider the many
hundreds of thousands of operations we are considering for reasonable
sized enterprise deployments - regex processing starts to mount up
when you profile the code. Of course, I should be basing my concern
on facts and they are obviously absent, I apologize. But, from my
own experiences, regex processing *can* be expensive when done
way too often - and I think this would be one of those cases.

About regex performance, I have never had a problem, (especially since we have to wait for db and ldap io). This benchmark says that you can do 10k java regexes in 609ms, and the regex looks pretty complex.

http://www.tusker.org/regex/regex_benchmark.html

Remember to keep your regex Pattern objects cached so the expressions aren't recompiled each time. The book "Java Performance Tuning" agrees, and states that regex is not expensive. In a benchmark there it says that a regex is only a little slower than a toUpper and compare... I think regex can be useful, as long as whoever is configuring can figure them out. :) Maybe to mitigate the complexity, just put a comment above the config:

#to do a prefix in regex, e.g. starts with 'somePrefix', use something like: ^somePrefix.*$

Also, we already have regex in the grouper config, and I have been assuming they are fair game...