grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • Cc: "Michael R. Gettes" <>, Grouper Dev <>, Signet <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:32:16 -0500

Kathryn Huxtable wrote:
My comments are included below.

On Aug 14, 2008, at 8:22 AM, Tom Barton wrote:
If we want to continue supporting the provisioning of group UUIDs into a membership attribute, then either precisely one provisioner must own the entire value space, or some bookkeeper DB is needed.

I *really* don't see a problem with decorating the UUIDs. This would be optional and would not affect existing Ldappc installations. It would solve a problem for those who need it.

I agree that the first of my two reasons for not decorating really doesn't apply to UUIDs. But the second reason still does (hard to ever change how you provision things if the change would mean that some of the same groups appear in ldap with new values due to changed decoration).

----

It seems that a fairly easy thing to do that is helpful in some common circumstances is to enhance ldappc so that it recognizes a set of stems that it owns. If folks agree that's worthwhile, then the next step is for Kathryn to propose a way of so configuring it.

Tom
begin:vcard
fn:Tom Barton
n:Barton;Tom
org:University of Chicago;Networking Services & Information Technologies
email;internet:
title:Sr. Director for Integration
tel;work:+1 773 834 1700
version:2.1