grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior

  • From: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • To: Graham Seaman <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>, Signet <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:17:23 -0500

On Aug 14, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Graham Seaman wrote:

Michael R. Gettes wrote:

Sorry if the LSE case was discussed here before and I
wasn't paying attention. But from this I glean LSE
is using a flat namespace. I think LSE needs to
consider using some simple hierarchy. Doing things
completely flat, to me, is a sign of poor planning.
Sorry, but that's how I feel about it. If this is
a "common" problem, then maybe we need to discuss
a strategy - but if it is LSE and LSE alone at this
point - I think LSE needs to consider changing.

This isn't the LSE institutional setup, but a provisional test directory I'm working on to find if it's practical to do what we need with signet/grouper. 'Flat' was my own choice, partly dictated by lack of experience with ldap and a desire to keep things as simple as possible; I simply modelled my externally derived groups on the groups provisioned by grouper using the 'flat' option. I've now understood that if I want to do this with grouper I need to move to 'bushy'. Since this is test/development work, I can do that without any institutional impact at all.

It might be helpful if some words warning people about the potential downside of using a 'flat' group structure were added to the wiki.

I wouldn't use "bushy". But I *would* put the groups provisioned by Grouper into a sub-ou of the main groups.

I've reviewed what we did at KU when I was there. We had a top-level ou=groups,dc=ku,dc=edu branch, but the groups were actually provisioned in sub-ou branches, e.g.

ou=grouper,ou=automatic,ou=groups,dc=ku,dc=edu

There were several squirrelly processes that automatically provisioned groups and they were each in their own branch under ou=automatic,ou=groups,dc=ku,dc=edu.

Any manually provisioned groups were under other branches under ou=groups,dc=ku,dc=edu to keep them separate.

But the grouper groups were flat under ou=grouper,...

-K