grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>, Signet <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [signet-dev] Proposal for ldappc provision scoping behavior
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:22:50 -0500

Michael R. Gettes wrote:
Tom - ok, I have read this a few times now, with a pause of a couple of hours
in between, pondering as I go. I don't buy (or fully appreciate) your
argument that managing by use of group identifiers is a bad idea.

My point was that we shouldn't *decorate* group identifiers in LDAP to manage multiple provisioners. We can certainly *use* group identifiers to manage the problem.

So, in short, help me understand why assigning each ldappc instance
it's own stem(s) to manage is a bad idea?

Assigning each ldappc instance its own stems is a perfectly fine idea, and is the first alternative I wrote about. It's just that this aproach doesn't work if your group space is flat or if you're provisioning group UUIDs or group extensions rather than group names into isMemberOf. It'll work for multiple COmanages but not for LSE.

Likewise, regexes will not help LSE.

My sense is the bookkeeper
DB is over-engineering the prefix solution. I am not appreciating why
we need a complex solution to this problem? We can always dream
up reasons to make things more complex later - why do we have to
do it now? Shouldn't practical experience dictate whether or not we
need more complex solutions?

If we want to continue supporting the provisioning of group UUIDs into a membership attribute, then either precisely one provisioner must own the entire value space, or some bookkeeper DB is needed.

In concrete terms, either LSE's current approach is SOL or we do something about bookkeeping (and maybe SOL is the right answer - sorry Graham!).

And, as I have already noted, I do believe ldappc should be managing
group objects in addition to isMemberOf in its own portion of the DIT but
for use as group objects - not as a bookkeeping function. I agree with
the idea - but, maybe not your reasoning for it.

We agree - I mentioned it only to illustrate the bookkeeper approach.

Sorry if I am being thick-headed in not appreciating your argument.

And, KH, I see you still like the idea of regex and I believe that is
overkill as well - why do we need it? When I consider the many
hundreds of thousands of operations we are considering for reasonable
sized enterprise deployments - regex processing starts to mount up
when you profile the code. Of course, I should be basing my concern
on facts and they are obviously absent, I apologize. But, from my
own experiences, regex processing *can* be expensive when done
way too often - and I think this would be one of those cases.

/mrg