wg-multicast - Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets

  • From: "Joe St Sauver" <>
  • To:
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:28:31 -0800 (PST)

Dale commented:

#My first thought would be to set up a standalone, dedicated NNTP
#infrastructure.

FWIW, "back in the day" (as the Old Man is fond of saying on the
popular TV show "Pawn Stars"), some Usenet admins often were fond
of saying, "Feed me everything." (FWIW, I never was one of those
guys)

Thus, when UO began experimentally working with the unidata.*
hierarchy with UCAR, I explicitly checked with my peer admins (many
of whom were of the "feed me everything" philosophical ilk) to
confirm, "Hey, are you *sure* you really want to even get a whole
pile of binary weather data? I'm not sure that's really your customer
niche, is it?"

"Heh heh. Yep, go for it, Joe, no prob-lem-o. We carry EVERYTHING."

Okay, so I didn't bang that hierarchy out of their feeds. My remote
peers added the new unidata.* groups they began to see, and we fed them
traffic for those groups. A LOT of traffic.

In turn, other sites, fed by my direct peers, also noticed the new high
volume newsgroups, and just blindly added them, and began to carry and
propagate that traffic.

Now back in those days, spool retention times were measured in
just days, and soon readers began to notice that the "more popular"
binary newsgroups suddenly didn't have the retention that they once did,
as the content they were interested in began to get displaced by other
stuff.

At the same time, some of them noticed that their provider was suddenly
receiving and offering a large volume of weather data.

Predictably, customer voices were heard, and listened to.

And thus, you now know the rest of the story (as Paul Harvey used
to say) about why some of the largest Usenet specialty service
providers on the Internet, providers that pride themselves on
carrying and feeding *everything* that's available (except things
like identifiable child exploitation materials), have a feed spec
that specifically reads, "*,!unidata.*" (e.g., everything EXCEPT
for the unidata.* hierarchy :-)) For example, see
http://www.giganews.com/peering.html

So trust me when I tell you that Usenet can push a LOT of weather
data, even by Usenet standards. :-)

Regards,

Joe