wg-multicast - Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets

  • From: "Joe St Sauver" <>
  • To:
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:53:53 -0800 (PST)

Gary commented on Steve Wallace's note:

#> I had no idea multicast was being used for usenet. That's cool. Still, I
#> suspect the bit rate for usenet is way south of 3Gb/s.

As of January 2011, Usenet was running just under 9TB/day (see for example
http://www.ghacks.net/2011/01/26/usenet-traffic-growth-to-almost-9tb-per-day/)

The 9-10TB/day number appears to be surprisingly consistent over time
(although I'd be interested in hearing about any public statistics that
show something substantially above that value on a consistent basis now).

Depending on your assumptions (e.g., is the load perfectly buffered and
uniform, or does it see peaks and troughs in throughput volume?), and the
extent to which a site peers with other news servers, you can estimate the
volume of traffic that you'd see on the wire from Usenet in in Gp/s.

#Sorry Steve, I didn't make myself clear. Usenet doesn't, afaik, use
multicast.

There was one NNTP over multicast implementation, Newscaster, that I'm aware
of, but to the best of my knowledge that's not a currently active effort.

#What I was getting at is that, end-to-end, nntp doesn't guarantee delivery of
#data from the poster to the reader, so the poster can employ FEC in the form
of
#PAR2 chunks to ens ure that the reader can recreate any missing blocks of
data
#that didn't get through to their local usenet node. I see the same method
being
#potentially useful when you can't guarantee delivery of data via UDP for
large
#datasets over multicast.

Usenet's flooding model, when used with multple redundant peers in a well-
connected mesh, can be surprisingly efficient at efficiently and completely
distributing large volumes of content.

Regards,

Joe