wg-multicast - Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets

  • From: "Joe St Sauver" <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:09:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi Michael,

You asked:

#My organization is considering the possibility of using new
#methodologies to distribute near real time satellite weather data
#streams to international & domestic partners/users, probably via
#Internet2 and international peers. The previous generation of satellites
#would produce ~30 Gbytes/day of data products but the new generation
#produces 3-4 Terabytes/day. Existing distribution methods will not
#economically scale, especially internationally. The data streams are all
#files and any packet loss would cause a file to become corrupted and
#unusable.
#
#We would like to investigate the possible use of multicasting to
#implement this. To do this we would need a very large file distribution
#capability. I have been researching some possibilities but would like
#your suggestions on what software/applications/systems could be used for
#this by us and our partners/users, especially with our specific
#requirements. We would also welcome any other suggested methodologies
#that could achieve similar results.

Way back when, I worked with some folks at Unidata on an experimental
distribution of weather data via NNTP (aka Usenet News).

See http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/nldm/

There are also some other talks and presentations about this out there
that you should be able to find on Google...

I think it could work at the new larger volumes, too!

Regards,

Joe