wg-multicast - Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets

  • From: "Dale W. Carder" <>
  • To: Steven Wallace <>
  • Cc: Gary Parker <>, Michael Laufer <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Need Advice on Multicasting Large File Data Sets
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:04:11 -0600

I'll raise you: source routing in smtp. Use an email address per product per
site source routed through the topology you want.

Seriously, while souce routing is "deprecated" in smtp, I think all the
puzzle pieces could be there to build an optimized distribution tree complete
with queueing / buffering (a big problem w/ multicast, since you can't send
faster than your slowest reciever), reliable push-based delivery, robust
error handling inherent in the protocol and a very mature set of daemons and
toolsets from which to choose.

All you would need to add is the glue to handle maintenance of the
specialized "mailing lists".

Dale

(this is still before my morning coffee)

On Feb 22, 2013, at 6:32 AM, Steven Wallace