wg-multicast - Re: Whither multicast?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Whither multicast?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: Whither multicast?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 15:49:19 -0500

I had written a much longer note about the current state of interdomain IPv4
multicast, from our vantage point, but. . . it doesn't really matter.

The point, I believe, is that the critical period for widespread adoption of
interdomain native multicast has passed. I don't think it matters to talk
about IPv4 or IPv6; either way there are still considerable issues associated
with building, maintaining and troubleshooting interdomain multicast
connectivity. The only important difference is that IPv4 multicast seemed to
have some promise, and by dint of great effort we were able to get some
adoption in the R&E community. I don't see that happening with IPv6
multicast.

Even though the train has left the station there are still legitimate uses of
IPv4 multicast; we aren't going to turn it off. And when we start talking
with IP equipment manufacturers in a month or two, trying to decide what
could be the basis for an upgraded NYSERNet R&E network, I'm going to have
requirements listed for IPv4/IPv6, unicast/multicast. But if a vendor comes
to the top of the list with everything else that we want except interdomain
IPv6 multicast, it won't stop us from buying their gear. . . and even if they
do have excellent support, I'm not sure we'll turn it on.

Bill.