wg-multicast - Re: Whither multicast?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Whither multicast?

  • From: Scott Brown <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Joe St Sauver <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: Whither multicast?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:03:48 -0500

Just a quick comment on what is happening in the Internet at large, that you may be interested in.

It is about content, but also about technologies coming together at the same time.

Many Telco's actually have IPTV services running over Native Multicast, where they have implemented QOS on their last mile to create an environment for it. As you mention this is private and internal to footprint. However it is now beginning to take shape over the broadband side. You can see for instance using a combination of Native and AMT multicast that AT&T has deployed public Multicast support. Octoshape, the company I work for facilitates the streaming delivery for things like CNN.com Live, and NBA League pass over these broadband unmanaged  Multicast enabled infrastructures.

While it is true, it has spent many years in the dark, I believe it is quickly moving the opposite direction.

There is a lot of reading material about it here if you are interested:

-Scott