wg-multicast - Re: Whither multicast?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Whither multicast?

  • From: David Farmer <>
  • To: Guy Almes <>
  • Cc: Joe St Sauver <>, , , ,
  • Subject: Re: Whither multicast?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 19:28:26 -0600

A few more thoughts,

<> Wireless, wifi or cellular is becoming a dominant access media for most everyday users and uses, Multicast is not generally wireless friendly and is especially not wifi friendly in most cases. This is probably just a special case of Guys IEEE 802 comment below. But, the RF domain that all wireless depend on is especially variable and variable on a per user basis. While counter intuitive unicast is frequently overall more efficient than multicast in many such environments. Unicast can more easily adapt to the per user variability that wireless presents and has failure modes that are more user friendly or at least better understood by the users.

<> Multicast is especially challenging in large-scale campus or enterprise wifi deployment, even something seemingly as simple as link local only mDNS service discovery can be especially challenging in large scale wifi environments, see the Educasue petition http://www.change.org/petitions/from-educause-higher-ed-wireless-networking-admin-group and the possible new IETF working group MDNSEXT https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mdnsext and http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lynn-mdnsext-requirements-00 for details.

Moving from Wireless;

<> Large amounts of Multicast create large amounts of state in the routers, classic ASM creates a more state than new alternatives like embedded RP or SSM, but even these alternatives can't really scale to unrestricted Internet wide inter-domain multicast. Especially without crushing Internet backbone routers with multicast state.

I'm probably not ready to completely give up on multicast, there are still some interesting problems it can be used to solve, but honestly we will probably be moving away from enabling it by default at our network edges, making it a special case service or limited scope service.