wg-multicast - RE: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

  • From: "Garry Peirce" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: The state of interdomain multicast - ?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 13:36:34 -0500

Leonard wrote:
> And I do agree that college sporting events are currently an untapped
source
> of interesting content and would be a great candidate for mcast/AMT.

Thought I'd mention this here just as it's a bit timely..
Granted a very small snowflake in the scheme of things, but due to recent
storms were scurrying to help enable some HS basketball finals will be
played at a UM venue tonight.
As we happen to closely work with our PBS affiliate in the state, not only
will transport to the transmitting studio be done over IP instead of
historical microwave, but we'll v4 mcast/SAP advertise this as well.

Bill wrote:
>I think that NYSERNet turned up native v6 multicast with Internet2 in 2005,
and we'd been playing with tunnels since maybe 2003. In all that time, I
believe we've had two campuses connect to us in
> order to try it out. And I'd be willing to bet that the configuration is
broken right now, since I haven't touched it in a couple of years.
> PS - I just checked v6 multicast with VLC, it's broken. I really should
look at that config. . .

As v6 connectivity itself becomes more common, given content and better v6
wireless support, I think v6 mcast adoption will bloom.
I should look to resuscitate our AG node as it hasn't been used in years.
As an existing R&E app sent to dedicated rooms, v6 doesn't really present an
oncoming train towards it.
I see your point, but it can continue to use v4 and through opening
discussions like these, we can look towards its solutions before they need
it.

Perhaps a good time for World Mcast Day (perhaps only R&Es) would be a few
months prior to Jan 20 , 2012 - although seeing the spikes on the traffic
graphs are kinda neat.
Kidding aside, I'd be interested in assisting to enable/promote such an
event as am able to.