wg-multicast - Re: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: The state of interdomain multicast - ?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Garry Peirce <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: The state of interdomain multicast - ?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:36:08 -0500

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:11:36PM -0500, Garry Peirce wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Re: v6, agree! I'd like to progress on v6 interdomain myself, but v6 mcast
> peering is not yet possible for us through the NoX (assume low interest),
> let alone for any of our participants.

I think that NYSERNet turned up native v6 multicast with Internet2 in 2005,
and we'd been playing with tunnels since maybe 2003. In all that time, I
believe we've had two campuses connect to us in order to try it out. And I'd
be willing to bet that the configuration is broken right now, since I haven't
touched it in a couple of years.

> Whether v4 or v6, content will determine its use and expansion.
> That's why I've interest in trying to promote the development of casting
> live events within our R&E as well as perhaps sparking interest with others,
> or to learn of other applications for it.
> When v6 interdomain mcast is possible (and video codecs support v6) the
> content will then already be there to make use of it.
> So I'm hoping to progress on both fronts at the same time up here.

I started dabbling in multicast so that I could listen to IETF 25 (back when
there was only enough bandwidth to audiocast), so in a way my original
adoption of multicast was content-driven.

I also think that the recent examples of C-SPAN during the inauguration and
the Philadelphia Orchestra's pilot program prove that multicast demand is
driven by compelling content. We had people lining up to enable multicast so
that they could see the Philadelphia concerts. On the other hand, the fact
that there have been two really compelling content examples in the last ~20
years doesn't say much for our future prospects ;)

Bill.

PS - I just checked v6 multicast with VLC, it's broken. I really should look
at that config. . .