wg-multicast - Re: DVTS bridging

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: DVTS bridging

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: "Gurcharan S. Khanna" <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: DVTS bridging
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:34:14 -0400

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:01:28PM -0400, Gurcharan S. Khanna wrote:
> bill,
>
> actually, the reverse. the DVTS implementation in Access Grid does not
> seem to like
> bridging, but works fine in multicast. i want to connect RIT campus to
> our Kosovo
> and Croatian campuses with AG, but all the bridges in place seem to vary
> and DVTS
> doesn't like them.

If you have enough bandwidth on the far side, and the only requirement is to
use this one application, your simplest configuration is probably a GRE
tunnel as was suggested earlier. You certainly can do it with a router - I
wouldn't try it with the site's edge router, though. You also should be able
to do it with a Linux box of some reasonable size. I would probably try to
isolate the DVTS machine(s) onto a separate subnet, and connect that subnet
back to the RIT campus with the tunnel.

Note that I haven't actually *tried* this, but it looks OK on paper ;)

Bill.