wg-multicast - Re: SDP spike

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: SDP spike

  • From: Alan Crosswell <>
  • To: "Morytko, Steve" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: SDP spike
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:09:23 -0500

BCP is to *not* run "ip sap listen" on your routers. After all, they
are routers, not hosts:-) Back in the day, there was an IOS bug that
would crash your 7500 router when a malformed SAP announcement was
received, so many of us turned off "ip sap listen" back then.

There still is the rate-limiting issue. If someone DoSes SAP, then if
you rate limit, odds are you will lose the good announcements and SAP
will become useless. In fact, this is yet one more reason why we should
abandon ASM and switch over to SSM. Easier said than done though.

/a