wg-multicast - Re: SDP spike

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: SDP spike

  • From: Pekka Savola <>
  • To: Hank Nussbacher <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: SDP spike
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:57:17 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
We have filters in place but they didn't help :-(
ip access-list standard boundary-filter

Your ACL doesn't match sap.mcast.net. (But if you filter it out completely, your users can't watch places all over the world.) Rate-limiting would be a better option.

On our msdp router (mcast) which seemed to fair better based
on the CPU graphs
http://noc.ilan.net.il/stats/ILAN-CPU/mcast-cpu.html:

ip multicast boundary boundary-filter
ip multicast rate-limit in 40000
ip multicast rate-limit out 40000
ip igmp access-group igmp-join-filter
ip igmp limit 1000

This is more resilient because you have ip multicast rate-limit here, which you didn't have on your core router.

On the other hand, legitimate multicast traffic (e.g. if you'd have IPTV) could trigger rate-limiting with values above.

Pekka