wg-multicast - Re: how to make this work?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: how to make this work?

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast List <>, Charley Kline <>, debbie Fligor <>
  • Subject: Re: how to make this work?
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 19:49:53 -0600

On 2 Feb 2008 Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:58 PM, David Farmer wrote:
>
> > FYI, for the record, we implemented our mVPNs with PIM-SSM for the P
>
> PIM-SSM or PIM-SM ?

PIM-SSM for the P Network, because we didn't want two sets of RPs, I felt
that could get confusing, the fact that everything runs in an optimal tree,
and
since we are both the provider and the customer we have enough control
over the total multicast state. Also, many of our VRFs don't actaully need
multicast, they have been created for specific applications or groups of
application and most don't use multicast, so why turn it on.

However, given an opprtunity to redo things I might go with PIM-BIDIR for
the P network, the campus network has a very simple and ridgid topology, a
dual star, that sould work well for PIM-BIDIR. The dual-star topology
doesn't
allow from much optimization anyway.

> Regards
> Marshall
>
> > network, AKA the default-MDT and data-MDT or MI-PSMI and S-PMSI. Our
> > Border Routers are the RP for the "customer" PIM-SM and connect the
> > mVPNs to each other and the Internet.

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-626-1818