wg-multicast - Re: how to make this work?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: how to make this work?

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast List <>, Charley Kline <>, debbie Fligor <>
  • Subject: Re: how to make this work?
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 19:58:24 -0600

Marshall,

Thanks for the pointer, can you provide more info on the two types?

Are you aware of implementations other that Cisco and Juniper?

Personally, it would be really nice if some of this actually made it from
Drafts
to even just Informational RFCs.

Others,

If you are interested in mVPN you should read this draft and many of the
references in it.

FYI, for the record, we implemented our mVPNs with PIM-SSM for the P
network, AKA the default-MDT and data-MDT or MI-PSMI and S-PMSI. Our
Border Routers are the RP for the "customer" PIM-SM and connect the
mVPNs to each other and the Internet.

If RFCs are not your style, maybe try this;

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/searchNetworking/Downloads/MPLS
ch7.pdf

On 1 Feb 2008 Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> Have you talked to your vendor ? Are you aware of the two flavors of
> MPLS multicast ?
>
> This draft might be useful if you are doing PIM MPLS Multicast :
>
> http://merlot.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ycai-mboned-mvpn-deploy-00
>
> If it _is_ useful to you (or, even if it isn't), please let me know,
> as we still haven't decided whether or not
> to make an official draft or not.
>
> Regards
> Marshall
>

> On Feb 1, 2008, at 1:00 PM, debbie fligor wrote:
>
> > We're doing some planning for our next-generation campus core
> > network. We're planning on using VRFs to provide some specialty
> > services (like a high-speed research network that bypasses the exit
> > firewalls).
> >
> > Here's a very simplified version of what we're thinking it will
> > look like:
> >
> > <mcast-core6.jpg>
> >

> > and an ascii version for those that don't do inline jpegs:
> >
> > vrf blue net 3 --- (dist router) -- (core router) -- (dist router)
> > --- vrf blue net 4
> > / /
> > vrf red net 1 ----/ vrf red net 2/
> >

> > We want to be sure that Intra-VRF multicast (eg. from net 3 to net
> > 4, all in the "blue" vrf) will work if the links between the dist
> > routers and core routers are MPLS based. We're confident we can
> > make it work if the links between the core and dist routers are L2
> > and we use VRF-lite, but we are interested in considering MPLS
> > instead.
> >
> > We're assuming we'll be able to make the Inter VRF multicast work,
> > even if it's a the other side of our exit, by treating them as L3
> > peerings.
> >

> > So if you've done something like this, how did you do it? So far
> > it looks like we'd have to run BGP as a core routing protocol and
> > exchange NLRIs with MBGP, if that's even defined over MPLS (I don't
> > think the standard for that is done, info on that is also
> > appreciated). We're not sure BGP makes an ideal core routing
> > protocol for a campus.
> >
> > We're especially interested in hearing how you have made something
> > like this work (or not!) on Cisco 6500's and Juniper MX-480 or
> > MX-960. Anything you've done with other vendor's gear that you
> > think might be insightful is also appreciated.
> >
> > thanks!
> >

> > -----
> > -debbie
> > Debbie Fligor, n9dn Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il
> > email:
> >
> > <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
> > "My turn." -River Tam

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-626-1818