wg-multicast - how to make this work?

Subject: All things related to multicast

how to make this work?

  • From: debbie fligor <>
  • To: wg-multicast List <>
  • Cc: Debbie Fligor <>, Charley Kline <>
  • Subject: how to make this work?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:00:31 -0600

We're doing some planning for our next-generation campus core network. We're planning on using VRFs to provide some specialty services (like a high-speed research network that bypasses the exit firewalls).

Here's a very simplified version of what we're thinking it will look like:

JPEG image

and an ascii version for those that don't do inline jpegs:

vrf blue net 3 --- (dist router) -- (core router) -- (dist router) --- vrf blue net 4
/ /
vrf red net 1 ----/ vrf red net 2/

We want to be sure that Intra-VRF multicast (eg. from net 3 to net 4, all in the "blue" vrf) will work if the links between the dist routers and core routers are MPLS based. We're confident we can make it work if the links between the core and dist routers are L2 and we use VRF- lite, but we are interested in considering MPLS instead.

We're assuming we'll be able to make the Inter VRF multicast work, even if it's a the other side of our exit, by treating them as L3 peerings.

So if you've done something like this, how did you do it? So far it looks like we'd have to run BGP as a core routing protocol and exchange NLRIs with MBGP, if that's even defined over MPLS (I don't think the standard for that is done, info on that is also appreciated). We're not sure BGP makes an ideal core routing protocol for a campus.

We're especially interested in hearing how you have made something like this work (or not!) on Cisco 6500's and Juniper MX-480 or MX-960. Anything you've done with other vendor's gear that you think might be insightful is also appreciated.

thanks!

-----
-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il
email:

<http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
"My turn." -River Tam