wg-multicast - Re: Cisco IPv4 Multicast Issue

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Cisco IPv4 Multicast Issue

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Michael Forrest <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Cisco IPv4 Multicast Issue
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:15:36 -0500

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 04:21:07PM -0000, Michael Forrest wrote:

> Has anyone seen the following issue with Cisco router running ipv4
> multicast?
>
> The log messages just seem to be full of the following msg:-
>
> Mar 20 16:05:38 door.erg.abdn.ac.uk 299: *Mar 16 06:39:31.369 UTC:
> %MROUTE-6-UNSUPPORTED_SAP_FORMAT: Received unsupported format SAP message
> from (129.116.74.139)

Interesting. VBrick has for some time sent an intentionally non-standard SAP
message, as explained a while ago on this list:

>Subject: RE: Question on SAP advertisements from VBrick
>Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:57:44 -0400
>From: "Richard Mavrogeanes"
><>
>
>To:
><>,
>
><>
>

>Mark,
>
>The answer is very simple: we support MPEG-2 transport streams and cisco's
>product is not compatible with the VBrick for MPEG-2. We make some effort to
>prevent the SAP from showing up in cisco's manager to help prevent a viewer
>from
>thinking they can see it.

I forget what part of the announcement is munged, but it is enough to keep a
standards-compliant application from displaying the VBrick-generated
announcements. And in Ethereal, they show up as a 'malformed packet'.

But this particular machine is sending something else. Ethereal picks it up,
but this is as far as it gets decoding it:

User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: mxxrlogin (1035), Dst Port: sapv1 (9875)
Source port: mxxrlogin (1035)
Destination port: sapv1 (9875)
Length: 840
Checksum: 0x0216 [correct]
Session Announcement Protocol
Flags: 0x21
001. .... = Version Number: SAPv1 or later (1)
...0 .... = Address Type: IPv4
.... 0... = Reserved: Not set
.... .0.. = Message Type: Announcement
.... ..0. = Encryption Bit: Payload not encrypted
.... ...1 = Compression Bit: Payload compressed
Authentication Length: 0
Message Identifier Hash: 0xd6bf
Originating Source: 129.116.74.136
The rest of the packet is compressed

Never seen that before, and I don't know which (if any) tools support it, but
it is apparently in the standard. Might guess that Cisco hasn't implemented
that hook in their SAP listener. . .

> The MFIB (multicast forwarding information base) seems to have a memory leak
> and eventually consumes all the memory available on the router. The router
> becomes inaccessible on the console and over the network and requires a
> power cycle to recover. Although strangely enough, still seems to be
> functional (if just unaccessible).

Now that's a much bigger problem. Do you know whether the two issues are
related? Are you able to run the router for a while without having it listen
to SAP traffic?

Bill.