wg-multicast - Re: Cisco IPv4 Multicast Issue

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Cisco IPv4 Multicast Issue

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Cisco IPv4 Multicast Issue
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 06:12:19 -0500

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:21:02PM -0500, Richard Mavrogeanes wrote:
> The SDP, especially for MPEG4, became too big (there is a LOT of stuff
> required to be fully standards compliant for MPEG4) and we implemented
> SDP compression (indeed, as the standards allow). I guess cisco does not
> fully follow the standard?

I suspect that Cisco (and probably Juniper as well) added SAP reception as
more or less an afterthought, to help folks with troubleshooting. Certainly
they've both had serious bugs in that part of their code, and the use of the
feature has caused problems with CPU usage as well. So I think both of them
are likely in the mode of use it when you have to, turn if off the rest of
the time. And I doubt either one would be interested in adding compressed SDP
support; certainly I'm not going to bother to ask them.

It would be nice if Ethereal handled it, and since it already uses zlib to
read compressed trace files the bits of code ought to be available. It would
just need someone to write it, which I, sadly, cannot. . .

Bill.