wg-multicast - Re: wanna come out and playy IPv6 multicast with me?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: wanna come out and playy IPv6 multicast with me?

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Brent Sweeny <>
  • Cc: Tom Pusateri <>, Bob Riddle <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: wanna come out and playy IPv6 multicast with me?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:38:47 +0200

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 02:20:35PM -0500, Brent Sweeny wrote:
> Abilene isn't running embedded-RP code yet, but will be fairly soon.

So will GEANT I'm told. Note that it is already deployed on Juniper
routers in NORDUnet. I'm in UNINETT connected to GEANT via NORDUnet,
which again peers with Abilene. That is,

Abilene - GEANT - NORDUnet - UNINETT

RP / Renater

M6Bone

> we static to v6 RPs as follows:
>
> address 2001:468::1 {
> group-ranges {
> ff05::/16;
> }
> }
> address 2001:660:3007:300:1:: {
> group-ranges {
> ff0e::/16;
> ff1e::/16;
> }
> }
> address 2001:700:e000:501::2 {
> group-ranges {
> ff3e:30:2001:700::/64;
> }
> }
>
> I expect the 2nd one (in Renater) will be the one of interest, though

Yep! So we should indeed be able to do ASM then. As first steps I would
suggest running ssmping to test SSM, or run a multicast beacon. In GEANT,
M6Bone etc. we are now using a beacon written in C called dbeacon. The
current status can be seen at
http://supervision-ipv6.renater.fr/public/m6bone/matrix
Further instructions at the bottom of the page.

To test ssmping, just see the web page, download the UNIX/Linux source
and build the client. You can then try to ssmping the IPv6 servers
listed on the page.

> the 3rd one is in uninett.

Yes. That is the IPv4 - IPv6 multicast gateway I've been running. It
has unfortunately been moved to Renater using embedded-RP. So I would
suggest removing it from the config. Hopefully we'll have embedded-RP
in Abilene/GEANT in a couple of months so you will again be able to
use the gateway.

Stig