wg-multicast - Re: wanna come out and playy IPv6 multicast with me?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: wanna come out and playy IPv6 multicast with me?

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Tom Pusateri <>
  • Cc: Bob Riddle <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: wanna come out and playy IPv6 multicast with me?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 20:12:26 +0200

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 10:55:55AM -0700, Tom Pusateri wrote:
> Is this standards based?
>
> Sure would be nice to have an app that played nicely with other vendors.
> I won't ever be running XP but I have a Mac and a FreeBSD box on an IPv6
> multicast capable net and I like to come out and play.

How are you guys connected. Via Abilene, or are there other networks
involved? Is there a common RP configured in all the routers? I suppose
Embedded-RP isn't deployed yet.

If there is no common RP configured, I would suggest doing some initial
testing with SSM. This is quite easy using ssmping, see
http://www.venaas.no/multicast/ssmping/

This should also in theory work between me in Europe being connected to
GEANT since there is a multicast peering between GEANT and Abilene.

I would be quite interested in testing IPv6 SSM between GEANT and
Abilene. If we in fact have the same RP configured (which I doubt), we
could also test ASM though.

Anyone willing to test SSM with me, or just inside Abilene? I'll provide
whatever help I can, but pretty straightforward.

Stig