wg-multicast - Re: wanna come out and playy IPv6 multicast with me?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: wanna come out and playy IPv6 multicast with me?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Tom Pusateri <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: wanna come out and playy IPv6 multicast with me?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:00:23 -0400

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:27:42AM -0700, Tom Pusateri wrote:
> DVTS for video but how about control and slides? Is the control protocol
> documented?

I don't know what other capabilities ConfXP has, since I've never used it.
And I wasn't suggesting that DVTS is compatible wth ConfXP - in fact, I'm
quite sure it isn't. DVTS is, however, capable of doing IPv6 multicast A/V on
OS X (as well as BSD, XP and I think Linux).

> Yep. I spoke to Apple about this at WWDC.

I don't suppose they answered? ;)

> I'm at NC State University, connected through NCREN to I2 (but out of town
> at the moment...)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that NCREN isn't yet IPv6
multicast connected either natively to Abilene or via a tunnel to the m6bone,
so you can probably do things locally but not with anyone else. Of course,
that can probably be fixed, if there's sufficient will. At present I have
tunnels to the m6bone but am not native to Abilene. I'm not certain what
connectivity, if any, exists between Abilene and the m6bone. These and other
questions will be answered soon. . .

Oh, and remember that v6 multicast traffic will probably flood your local
switch, unless you're using one of the few boxes that will do MLD snooping.
Not a big deal unless you have some ports at 10 Mbps, in which case running a
local DVTS session is an excellent way to find those ports and get them fixed
;)

Bill.