wg-multicast - Re: I2-NEWS: Webcast Advisory - Michigan Information Technology Center

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: I2-NEWS: Webcast Advisory - Michigan Information Technology Center

  • From: Ted Hanss <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: I2-NEWS: Webcast Advisory - Michigan Information Technology Center
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 15:46:11 -0400

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to improve the multicast situation. I welcome the feedback and hope that we are making progress.

We distributed some, but not all, of the Virtual Member Meeting over multicast due the distributed nature of the "breakout sessions" during the days following the plenary day (which was fully multicast). The problems with Real had to do with a network problem located on the commodity path between the Real encoders and the Real servers that were used.

Since the virtual MM we have built a stable netcasting infrastructure and have been multicasting our meeting content (and that of others meetings we've covered) using IP/TV MPEG-1, Ncast MPEG-1, vic H.261, MPEG-2, and DVTS (the WIDE Project's 25 mbps DV stream). We have sent presenter PowerPoint slides out over vic using Camtasia's screen recorder, which provides a very good quality image. The MPEG-2 client situation is going to improve --- stay tuned for some news on that.

This infrastructure is available for others to plug into. For example, during iGrid 2002, we took a PAL MPEG-2 unicast feed from Amsterdam, converted it to NTSC, and then redistributed it via several unicast and multicast formats for North America audiences.

We weren't even aware in advance that the Michigan governor's announcement was being netcast, otherwise we would have arranged to feed it through our netcast configuration.