wg-multicast - Re: I2-NEWS: Webcast Advisory - Michigan Information Technology Center

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: I2-NEWS: Webcast Advisory - Michigan Information Technology Center

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>, Bill Owens <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: I2-NEWS: Webcast Advisory - Michigan Information Technology Center
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:57:54 -0400

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT)
"Kevin C. Almeroth"

Kevin;

It's really about who is willing to pay for what.

When we did the Spring I2 member meeting, I concluded that our multicast
video audience was at least as big as the Real unicasts, AND I didn't think to
monitor the ENSORs multicast RTCP until the meeting was over,
so I do not know what sort of audience they had at all.

We would have been glad to multicast the Fall Meeting, but we have never
been able to get any sponsorship for this, and I can't see shipping a
crew + equipment cross country pro bono.

On related note, we expect to be multicasting the January, 2003, Future
of Music Policy Summit

http://www.futureofmusic.com/events/summit03/index.cfm

_LIVE_ this year, God and Verizon willing. You heard it here first.

> It is... of course, they are just responding to customer demand. It

Customer ? If anyone pays for any of this I would like to know :)

More seriously, I don't think that there is any viewer feedback solicited,
and I know that I2 does not request viewer logs, so how do they know ? I
frankly do not think that they do.

> really hit the fan with the Virtual Meeting last year. Lots of people
> put in a lot of effort to offer this content in lots of different formats
> and via lots of different communication technology (i.e. unicast and
> multicast). Everyone used unicast and almost no multicast.

I still can't understand why
they didn't multicast the whole meeting.

The only parts of the Virtual MM I could usefully watch were
the multicasts (which was only for the plenary sessions IIRC). The low
bandwidth
Real unicasts I got were so lame I gave up after about an hour. They were just
wasting their time as far as I was concerned.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks