wg-multicast - On avoiding the need to require snooping switches

Subject: All things related to multicast

On avoiding the need to require snooping switches

  • From: Guy T Almes <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>, "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: On avoiding the need to require snooping switches
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:35:19 -0400

M'casters,

I would also be interested in comments on Bill Nickless's note.
SSM does seem to solve the wide-area source-discovery problem and let us avoid using or improving on MSDP.
But I hope that Bill's issue (on the need to improve on our current habit of imposing on L2 switch vendors to snoop intelligently) will receive serious attention.
So much of what makes the Internet powerful is the minimal constraints it imposes on L1/L2 protocols. The result is often wonderful cost-effectiveness resulting from a nice variety of cheap fast robust L1/L2 technologies with IP layered neatly on top. The demands of multicast for snooping seem to go counter to that generally strong attribute of Internet engineering.

Regards,
-- Guy