wg-multicast - Re: IPv6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IPv6 Multicast

  • From: Guy T Almes <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>, "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: IPv6 Multicast
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:31:33 -0400

Alan,
This was an interesting thread to review (after being snowed with admin work for a few days). Thanks to all who contributed.
As several noted, Kevin's original note really was about IPv6 Multicast. I hope his note gave all those on the list a sense of the issues and also a sense of the informative and energizing joint IPv6/Multicast WG meeting we had in Boulder ten days ago.

On the topic of IPv6 SSM, it may be the case that (for a limited time) we can do without snooping and try broadcasting for those LANs where the Ethernet segments don't have too many hosts. I wonder what the practicalities of that would be in the early days of IPv6.

Regards,
-- Guy