wg-multicast - Re: IPv6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IPv6 Multicast

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: "Marshall Eubanks" <>,
  • Subject: Re: IPv6 Multicast
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:18:57 -0400

At 11:53 -0400 8/7/02, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
if you type
"multicast internet radio" into google, we start appearing at number 19 (a now
irrelevant press release) and # 20 is the first real reference - 3 pages into
it if you use the default google page size.

That's interesting, because I searched on what came to mind for me - "multicast music", and you had the first, second and fifth through ninth hits. Of course, other searches also revealed interesting stuff, they just didn't have your page ;) BTW, have you seen the gadgets at www.uclinux.net? That came up on a search for "multicast mp3"

So, I have said before, and will say again, there is definitely a place in
the SSM world for some sort of SAP like tuner advertisements. It will happen,
hopefully without negatively affecting certain protocols the way that SDR does.

It seems like it would be easy to build a session directory app that would make use of a single well-known SSM source, with which other SSM (or ASM) sources could register. Hmm, Google comes in handy again:

http://www.icir.org/fenner/mcast/ssm/html-archive/2000-11/msg00008.html

and the couple of dozen messages following. The discussion seems pretty thorough, and I see some familiar faces represented ;)

Bill.