wg-multicast - Norton Ghost [was:Re: AS680 [was: Re: A really odd one. . .]]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Norton Ghost [was:Re: AS680 [was: Re: A really odd one. . .]]

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: Simon Leinen <>, mbone mail list <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Norton Ghost [was:Re: AS680 [was: Re: A really odd one. . .]]
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 16:52:32 -0500

Simon Leinen wrote:

> >> Interesting. I don't know where this information comes from, but it
> >> might point to a problem.
>
> > Actually, that is a good question. I have to withdraw my estimate -
> > it is actually a count of the RP's with active SA's. I do not know
> > how they count RP's, but I wonder if they are doing something
> > similar. Our mbgp tables show routes to 321 Autonomous Systems -
> > shouldn't basically all of those have RP's ?
>
> If the counts are indeed of RPs with active SAs (which makes sense
> because I don't see how you can even learn about a remote RP which
> doesn't advertise any sources using MSDP), then the difference may
> just be due to different filters.
>
> TEN-155 doesn't currently filter MSDP announcements for the Norton
> Ghost discovery group, for instance, while you do (do you?). So
> probably your router doesn't count those RPs which only announce North
> Ghost sources, which could explain the difference.
> --
> Simon.

Simon;

Actually, we do NOT filter the Norton Ghost. If I remember correctly,
we originally thought it was the source of the MSDP storms in the period
after the storms started but before we realised they were due to RAMEN.
So, I am not sure that the Ghost actually caused the problems seen.

Does anyone care to comment on this ? Should one of us call up
Norton and complain, or was this a red herring ?
--
Marshall

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc