wg-multicast - Re: AS680 [was: Re: A really odd one. . .]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: AS680 [was: Re: A really odd one. . .]

  • From: Jan Novak <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Simon Leinen <>, Bill Owens <>,
  • Subject: Re: AS680 [was: Re: A really odd one. . .]
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 08:16:01 +0000

Actually, that is a good question. I have to withdraw my estimate - it is actually a count
of the RP's with active SA's. I do not know how they count RP's, but I wonder
if they are doing something similar. Our mbgp tables show routes to 321 Autonomous Systems -
shouldn't basically all of those have RP's ?

No, as you say only RPs which originate a SA can be counted, the soft
you mention just dumps for some period SAs from router-to-WS MSDP
session into a file and just "sort unique" on RP field is done. The number
you
see can also be affected by the fact, that data is collected just for two minutes
(every 15 minutes), but most RPs send (or are amplified -)) SAs at least once per minute, so should
be alright.

Jan

Jan Novak
Cisco Systems