wg-multicast - Re: Session Announcement Help, Please!

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Session Announcement Help, Please!

  • From: ken lindahl <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Session Announcement Help, Please!
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:27:41 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001, "Michael H. Lambert"
>I'm not sure how often the SDP announcement is being sent (it's being
>originated by SDR under MS Windows and exhibiting the usual black-box
>behavior of that OS). I'm going to see if I can get some of the tools up
>under FreeBSD.

one way to get an idea of this is using sdr listening on a router.
i'm assuming you have this enabled, if not, let me know. 'sho ip sdr'
lists all the sessions for which the router has seen sdp announcements.
'sho ip sdr "session name"' (the double-quotes are required) gives detailed
information, eg:

inr-000>sho ip sdr "I2: The Future of the Internet"
SDR Cache - 134 entries
Session Name: I2: The Future of the Internet
Group: 0.0.0.0, ttl: 0, Contiguous allocation: 1
Uptime: 5d03h, Last Heard: 00:03:29
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the downside is, you have to do this repeatedly until you see the timer
get reset, then go back to the previous value.

>Behavior I'm seeing now: The internal router carries the announcement for
>three minutes; it disappears for a while (hard to time); it comes back for
>another three minutes.

sounds like correct behavior. if the period of the SAP announcements is
greater than 3 minutes, the mroute will expire.

> It's not showing up in the sa-cache on the border
>router at all.

this matches my experience: announcements from my AS never appear in my
sa-cache. you should check the msdp peer, if you have access to it. if
it's the abilene router, you can use the core node router proxy
http://hydra.uits.iu.edu/~abilene/proxy/

ken