wg-multicast - Re: FW: multicast support

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: FW: multicast support

  • From: John Meylor <>
  • To: Gordon Rogier <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: FW: multicast support
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:34:16 -0800

Gordon Rogier wrote:

i suspect that
> this is a result of these sources (inc. the sdr announcers) not being
> advertised into msdp because of a far end dense mode network not being
> proxied on correctly. just a suspicion at best for the moment.

Aside from what you mention (not originating sa-messages in
first place), the next most common reason for "missing" sa-messages
is peer-RPF failure - the msdp peer doesn't accept the sa because
it doesn't match the MBGP next-hop, or doesn't have an MBGP
route at all, eg.

Unfortunately this is common because you can put an msdp peering
session up independent of how you set up an mbgp peering relationships.
When these don't agree, the sa-messages are dropped which can be
somewhat transparent and lead to false conclusions.

Again, I am not ruling out fundemental architectural flaw in
msdp protocol which would preclude it from handling burst-sources,
(we anticipated this and tried to allow for it in protocol)
but I am saying we've never seen a case in real world. It has always
been due to configs or bugs, both of which we should be able to
resolve. :-)

John