wg-multicast - Re: FW: multicast support

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: FW: multicast support

  • From: John Meylor <>
  • To: Gordon Rogier <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: FW: multicast support
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:01:04 -0800

Gordon Rogier wrote:

> i have a generic question about this subject. if a mcast domain
> runs a specific group as truely dense locally (by not defining an RP
> for the group address), does this prevent msdp from being aware of an
> active source (thereby preventing the needed SA message from being
> generated)?

there are several ways to originate sa-messages for dense sources,
but first I'll say that if a network runs in sparse mode I can't
think of any reason to force a group into dense mode - I've never
seen a valid reason for that, and the concept that it should be
done to handle "bursty-sources" eg SAP is pre-mature at best,
there's no evidence SAP doesn't work when all varibles are addressed.
properly (like config, bugs, etc).

So what we're talking about is how to get sources in dense-only
mode into msdp. The preferred way is to have a border router
on the dense<->sparse interface (say to the sparse backbone)
proxy-register to the sparse cloud's RP.

if so, it would seem that almost all groups in the wide area
> would need to be supported as sparse in the local domain.

Ideally, but again, if the site "can't" run sparse, the sources
inside that dense-only cloud would need to proxy register to
the sparse clouds RP.

John