wg-multicast - Re: FW: multicast support

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: FW: multicast support

  • From: John Meylor <>
  • To: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: FW: multicast support
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:52:35 -0800

Kevin,
Hope everything is ok with family.

Comments:

"Kevin C. Almeroth" wrote:

> (For anyone that doesn't know, there was a question whether
> the transport of SAP messages should be done via dense mode.)
>
> Does I2 need to even recognize that this is happening? Does it
> help someone connected to I2 to know that some folks carry
> sap.mcast.net via dense?

Knowing where the dense-sparse interface is (if there has to
be one) is important to determine how to ensure source is
made know to those (99.999%) backbones that carry SAP as sparse.

Most important issue here is being consitant on backbone policies.
There is still no well defined or documented reason why you would
want to force SAP into dense mode when all other groups are sparse.

John