shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] IdP One Time Password SMS Authentication

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] IdP One Time Password SMS Authentication

  • From: Peter Williams <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] IdP One Time Password SMS Authentication
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:34:30 -0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

April cites: Cell Phone - your ID to get a Onetime Password U.S. Patent
no. 6,993,658

Assuming this is the patent one has licensed, the disclosed method basically
requires that the OTP request be communicated over cell (and not the
internet) - it's an old, manual 2 way pager concept, that is.

There are no general claims about any and all OTP tokens delivered over the
internet. The claim construction is very specific to the art of the method,
as you'd expect the PO to insist upon. Use a different method, the patent
power is not relevant (as is always true).

The method is linked to particular system claims, which have particular
control protocols. One can easily deviate from their peculiarity, since its
tied to particular account lockout behaviors at an SP. Perhaps SPs... don't
have "user account", being stateless.

In the openid world, IDPs often integrate with "phonefactor." The request to
generate the key/otp (duely relayed to a pager feature over SMS) is
communicated WITHOUT using the user's personal device as a bearer for the
request, and without using a cell network to communicate the request.