shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP One Time Password SMS Authentication

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP One Time Password SMS Authentication

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP One Time Password SMS Authentication
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:31:49 -0600

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Chad La Joie
> Well, if InCommon would like to kick in good chunk of change I'm sure we
> could find another developer to help make IdPv3 happen faster.  :)

That's why I asked about the "Shibboleth Consortium" in another
thread. I would like to understand the new process that is taking
shape behind the scenes. I'm hoping that will become transparent very
soon.

Remember that "InCommon" is just another word for a certain subset of
U.S. higher ed institutions, so any "chunk of change" is going to come
(indirectly) from those institutions. Moreover, those institutions
have historically been very willing to apply human resources in lieu
of $$$ so I hope the "Shibboleth Consortium" is more like an open
source project in that respect (and other respects).

As far as the OTP feature is concerned, I can be very specific about
the desired timeline: We would like to demo a new login interface
(based on OTP) to our tools at Fall 2011 I2MM.

I can't tell by reading your ProjectPlanning page when IdP version 3
is due out. What I'm asking is: If the "Shibboleth Consortium" were to
plan version 3 such that all the required features for OTP were
available in v3.0, what would it take to develop v3.0 in the given
time frame. Of course, those features that don't make it into v3.0
would be systematically scheduled for v3.x (x > 0). In other words,
it's not merely a matter of money and/or people power (which you know,
of course), it's planning for the features you want, when you want
them.

Thanks,
Tom