shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP One Time Password SMS Authentication

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP One Time Password SMS Authentication

  • From: Paul Hethmon <>
  • To: Shibboleth Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP One Time Password SMS Authentication
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:28:52 -0500

On 11/29/10 12:20 AM, "RL 'Bob' Morgan"

>> As far as the OTP feature is concerned, I can be very specific about the
>> desired timeline: We would like to demo a new login interface (based on
>> OTP) to our tools at Fall 2011 I2MM.
>
> Any number of extensions to the current IdP have been developed, including
> login handlers of various kinds. A featureful OTP login handler written
> for IdPv2 would have to be modified to work with IdPv3, but presumably
> most of it would still apply. So if you really want OTP functionality in
> a Shib IdP real soon, you'll need to see that it gets developed as an
> extension by someone outside the current funded project team.

On a more technical note, what level of OTP are you considering? Meaning I
know of 3 approaches:

1. email to sms
2. sms via a sms "modem"
3. sms via an integrator (direct IP connect)

I'm figuring approach #1 or #2 based on cost. #3 has a very high cost to
simply set it up and have it available.

Also, just for the record, there is a patent in the US for the delivery of
OTP via SMS. Held by April Systems out of Sweden (www.april.se). My company
has licensed that from them at one time but I have no other connection to
them or the patent.

thanks,

Paul