shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Implementing service provider

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Implementing service provider

  • From: David Bantz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Implementing service provider
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:31:29 -0800

My apologies if my comment seemed in any way a slam or irresponsible dig
at the Shibb development team, who I know to be responsive and
tireless and patient in their assistance to those deploying Shibboleth.

I wish I could be more specific and detail the precise points at which
we initially had trouble in installing and configuring Shibb (IdP and SP).
However, it seems, phenomenologically, to be a little like describing the
initial trouble I had learning to ride a bicycle or see anything in abstract art.

The documentation covers a wide range of possible installation environments;
while it is essential to support multiple environments, it does put a burden on
the naive deployer to navigate a single thread through a maze of options and
choices; the interdependencies of those choices are not always obvious
except in hindsight. Providing the sort of step-by-step instructions a first-time
deployer might like would require perhaps dozens of separate documents
based on the exact versions of server OS, containers, and more, each one
a fragile document subject to change with the next security patch or version
update of some component, so I understand whyno one has produced such
a suite of documents.

David Bantz